Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Janissa's Wall



So with Janissa on the painting queue, and her base finished (to be seen later), I decided that she needed her own wall. I had previous made a wall for Cpt. Gunnbjorn (just not painted yet) and I wanted to make something similar, but went along with her base.
I grabbed my Magic-Sculpt, my rocks I got from Michaels, and some scrap aluminum foil. Plus, I had cut out some plasticard in the same dimensions as the wall template 4" by 3/4" with a hight of less than 1"










Tightly wrapping the foil to give a basic shape I wrapped it with the Magic-Sculpt. The foil allows me to shape the wall while not using more of the Magic-Sculpt than I need, saving $$$













After wrapping and molding, I added it to the plasticard and checked the size against rulers, making sure it was within specs. Since I was going to add rock to it, I made sure that I had enough room so that I could keep the height under 1"









Adding Rock to the piece, making sure to push the rock in, checking the height constantly pushing and molding.












Here is the finished product, pre-paint with the rock! Again I'm constantly checking the size, length, width, and height. One of the best things about Magic-Sculpt is that it holds shape, but doesn't set quickly so you have lots of time to work with it. It means you do have to be careful with gravity pulling it down, but you can put a piece down, look at it for a bit, and work on it again easily. Plus when it sets, its rock hard and you can easily sand and drill into it without breaking the piece. I do let things set for hours, and its best even to have it cure for at least 24 hours depending on how much sculpt putty you use.










After the Magic-Sculpt set, black primer was used. I layered the primer on to make sure there was an even coat, and I touched up with black in case i missed anything with the primer. Then did a light drybrush of white, and then highlighted some of the rock edges. Then a high gloss over the top, making sure it didn't pool up.
Behind the rock wall, is the other wall I had created for Cpt Gunnbjorn, that is a smooth piece, with a few cuts highlighted, making it look like a more solid piece of "obsidian".
I'm very happy with the end result, and cannot wait until Janissa is finished with her painting and I can throw this down on the field of play!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea and execution, although I highly disapprove of this for the sole reason that Janissa's wall is a pain in the ass to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what is beyond "highly disapprove" when Cpt. Gunnbjorn and Janissa are on the same list, which we will call....Wall Squared

    ReplyDelete