Monday, February 7, 2011

InstantMold


So I was reading the PP forums and found this post:
referring to this product:

I sent emails to friends, saying look at this! Its amazing! I need to try this!

I bought it, and I tried it...


I'm not an expert at molding, I've done a couple of simple press molds before, making feet and symbols, so this will be a real newbie experience. I followed the directions and heated up water using my coffee maker, and poured the water in a separate glass bowl. I found that I could maintain a temperature about 165˚F (the directions on the packaging say to use hot water at "about 170˚F"). The temperature went down fast, but it was good enough to get the putty warm enough to where it was easily pliable. When I needed more hot water, I poured more in from the coffee pot, or microwaved the water I had. Of course I made sure the glass bowl i used was microwave safe, and just contained water, not the putty. I didn't want anything cracking or sticking in my microwave.

After waiting a couple of minutes, when the putty was taken out of the hot water (with a tool, per directions) it drooped because of gravity, and was easily shaped. Its seemed there was a limited time to get a good shape for the item you are pressing in (a couple of minutes). It took a little trial and error to discover how much putty i would need and how much time i had before the putty started cooling off to where I wouldn't get a good copy of the item. I ended up using 3 of the blocks (2.25"x.5"x.25") out of the 6 that come with the package.
I decided to use a complex item, a wing from a Legion Harrier. Two sided press mold. It took me a little bit of trial and error to get a good mold, since this was the first time I had used the product, and was watching the products video to get some tips. It was a little more difficulty item to mold because the wing has a bit of a curve to it. I did this on purpose to give the putty a good newbie test.


Per the video instructions I cut off extra putty on the sides and cut out the pieces from the side so I could peel the putty off and the piece out. This was done carefully with a sharp hobby knife. Using my modeling compound, Magic-Sculpt set it all up and pressed it in the mold, and put the sides together, and rubber banded the whole thing together. It was very important not to use a putty/resin mix that heats up chemically, because it would then heat up the putty and ruin the mold. I was pretty confident in the material I used, since I've used it before. The most difficulty part was waiting for the material to cure, since it takes a few hours to do so fully.

TA-DA, the big reveal! I removed the copy from the two sided press mold and went....wow I used too much compound. I got a great impression on both sides, you can see the detail from the mold, and it looks fantastic. I made another, using less compound. A few hours later...another great mold, but still too much compound. So one more time, less compound. A few hours later...another great mold, more useable as a piece on a model, very acceptable! I'm sure with more practice and some time I can get better molds.

And what did I do with the extra scraps that I cut off? Well I put them back in the hot water, and molded them back together and made a press mold of the Harriers claw. I made 4 claws throughout the day, and I was delighted with the detail that came out. Of course this wasn't a 2 sided mold, but for making symbols or feet, anything you need 1 side for, the mold can be used and re-used.
None of the Magic-Sculpt compound that I used was left in the molds, it separated smoothly from the InstantMold putty, and didn't deform the molds. The best part, I can dip it all back into hot water and re-use the InstantMold putty on another item without any difficulties.

The experience using this product was fantastic, and I think making simple press molds, and simple double-sided press molds will be superb. I think the most use I will get from this, is creating my own base inserts, and then making copies.

2 comments:

  1. Great review. Question: Are the wings strong enough or did they need a wire armature?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the compound I use, Magic-Sculpt, when it finishes setting, its like a rock. You can sand and drill it easily, but it all depends on the thickness. I still have the models seen in the picture, and the very edges where the compound is paper thin, it breaks easily breaking beyond that, I need clippers. So no wires at all.

    I did see on CMON, that the Instamold sells fast, and they got a restock in recently.

    ReplyDelete