Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Painting Challenge "whoopsies"

So I made an aggressive painting challenge to myself, and life got in the way and I was unable to fully finish the challenge.

What I did get done:
A full squad of Houseguard Halberdiers with UA to tabletop quality (bases done, but I need to finishing highlighting and the face/eyes).
Adeptis Rahn

As for the tournament, I did well.  I'm getting better, but again I was assasinated before I could assassinate. The last game falling under the NQ Challenge, which I failed, but figured out later.  Rahn had a Destroyer in his face, a Guard Dog barely within 6", and eIrusk behind him and a wall with defenders ward on.  Rahn was the only piece I had left, with the full 8 focus.  I was in line to do a direct hit  with Force Hammer on eIrusk, but he was at DEF 22, so I would have needed to roll above average (14) to hit.  I could have moved around the Destroyer (staying in melee range), to get an angle on the dog (who was in line within 2 1/2" of eIrusk), but if I moved, the dog would have been able to counter charge.  I could have teleported over, but then I didn't have the right angle on the dog to hit eIrusk.  I gave the game to my opponent, but later I realized I could have teleported the Destroyer, then teleported myself, and have the best roll to hit the dog, who would have hit eIrusk and do collateral damage.  That was my best chance of killing him and winning the game (he was down to about 5 boxes), but I would have needed to roll above average again to kill him outright on the collateral damage (POW 12).  I don't think the chain blast would have done better, boosted blast damage would have been about the same, but it would have been 3 focus allowing me to boost damage once, and the possibility of hitting him with the 2nd blast.  But it would have meant even more lucky rolls.

Pictures of the Halberdiers will come along when I finish the face/flesh highlighting

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Just wanted to point out that if Irusk was behind a wall, unless the dog slam was able to avoid the wall, the slam would stop when contacting the wall and the slammed target would take an extra dice of damage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, with the angle that I would have gotten, the Dog and Irusk would have been clear of the wall. I had to move over about 2", then the direct line would have avoided the wall. at the time I just didn't see how to position myself without the dog countercharging. The dice rolls would have had to been above average to one shot Irusk.

    ReplyDelete